BUNYAN BAGS NO.7
Saturday 18th February 2012, 12:14
Western Springs wild card Jason Bunyan became a seven-time New Zealand champion after an awesome unbeaten performance in the national final at Christchurch circuit Moore Park.
The 32-year-old, who dons the No.16 race jacket for the first ever FIM New Zealand SGP in Auckland on March 31, blitzed through his five heats with a 15-point maximum.
He then snatched the crown from 2011 champion Grant Tregoning by fending off the former Newport rider to win the A Final. Dale Finch took the bronze medal and Daniel McKinlay was fourth.
Bunyan has now won the NZ title seven times in nine years and only Larry Ross, who lifted the trophy nine times between 1976 and 1990, has a better record in the competition.
The Milton Keynes-born racer will carry the New Zealand flag on parade in Auckland next month.
So he will be determined to build on his national title success with a big performance against world speedway’s heavyweights in the biggest meeting ever staged in the land of the long white cloud.
- 11/02: SGP LIONS REUNITED
- 10/02: SHOOTING STARS: KURTZ
- 09/02: SAVE ON VOJENS SWC TICKETS
- 08/02: SGP GOLD: MALILLA MAGIC
- 07/02: AJ HAPPY WITH HAMMERS RETURN
- 06/02: SGP COUNTDOWN: HAMPEL
- 05/02: BOMBER SEEKS BETTER
- 04/02: NKI WON'T RULE OUT UK RIDE
- 03/02: SHOOTING STARS: MILIK
- 02/02: HOLDER'S SWEDISH SCENERY CHANGE