RIDER REVIEW: MATEJ ZAGAR
SGP Rider Review shines a spotlight on the FIM Speedway Grand Prix stars of 2016. Today we feature Matej Zagar.
The Slovenian racer came within a point of securing his place in the 2017 World Championship by right, finishing ninth overall on 90 points. That in itself was some feat after the Ljubljana-born man appeared to be heading out of the series halfway through the year.
Despite finishing third in the LOTTO Warsaw SGP on May 14 and picking up eight points at the Kjærgaard Danish SGP on June 11, Zagar’s form dipped alarmingly in the following months.
He failed to reach a single semi-final in the following five rounds and was 13th overall and 21 short of the top eight with three to go.
But fourth-place finishes in Stockholm and Torun brought the Czestochowa and Smederna man a whopping 15 points in both events, before his 11-point haul in Melbourne kept him in contention.
Despite being pipped to eighth place by Niels-Kristian Iversen, Zagar did enough to earn a wild card from the SGP Commission and takes his place in next year’s series.
Having finished fifth in 2014 and sixth last year, he’ll be determined to build on his best ever SGP seasons and mount a medal push in 2017.
- 22/02: GRIN: YOUNG GUNS TAKING OVER SGP
- 21/02: SGP PREVIEW: TETEROW
- 20/02: SUCCESSFUL SURGERY FOR JANOWSKI
- 20/02: MORE WARSAW TICKETS RELEASED
- 20/02: FIVE FACTS: NICKI PEDERSEN
- 19/02: NO RUSH FOR NICKI ON SWEDISH DEAL
- 18/02: RIDER ROUND-UP: GREG HANCOCK
- 17/02: CIESLAK EARTHS ELECTRIC DOYLE
- 16/02: SGP GOLD: NICKI'S MALILLA THRILLER
- 16/02: ACES & REBELS STAGE TOP EVENTS