Menu
Card image cap

PAIRMAN ADMITS ACES DEFEAT

Poole co-promoter Gordon Pairman has admitted defeat in his efforts to lead a consortium trying to take over Belle Vue speedway.

07 / 01 / 2017, 11:23

Poole co-promoter Gordon Pairman has admitted defeat in his efforts to lead a consortium trying to take over Belle Vue speedway.

The Aces were evicted from the National Speedway Stadium by Manchester City Council for failing to pay any rent.

This week, Pairman was revealed to be one of the parties seeking to keep the Aces at last year’s Monster Energy FIM Speedway World Cup Race Off and Final venue.

I’m really sorry to miss out on the opportunity at Belle Vue, but the circumstances have worked against me.

Gordon Pairman

The Isle of Man-based businessman is well known to Aces sponsors, staff and fans, having previously been a Belle Vue promoter. He has since had a spell in charge of Glasgow and remains part of Pirates’ management team.

But he has now withdrawn from the race to take over the Aces. He said: “I was approached about buying in to Belle Vue towards the end of last season, but decided to wait until after the league play-offs before taking it further.

“At the end of November, through (former Belle Vue promoter) Chris Morton’s intervention, I was invited to meet with a key member of Manchester City Council to find out if there was a way forward. As a consequence of that meeting, I submitted a business proposal to the council.

“I put a shareholder structure and a management team together that would ensure the survival of what to many is the biggest name in world speedway, but I have run out of time to make anything happen.

“I am out of the country for most of the rest of January and am already committed to other matters for much of February, and Belle Vue needs someone who can both commit a large sum of money to the enterprise, and more time than I now have available.”

Pairman insists he’ll remain part of the Poole promotion. He said: “During my discussions, I have kept my co-promoter and the owner of Poole speedway, Matt Ford, fully informed and I really appreciate him keeping the door open for me at Poole.

“The six seasons I have been involved there have been, in speedway terms, my most enjoyable, and I am looking forward to being back at Wimborne Road in March.

“I’m really sorry to miss out on the opportunity at Belle Vue, but the circumstances have worked against me.

“I'd like to put on record my thanks to Manchester City Council for everything they have done and are doing to make the National Speedway Stadium and the Belle Vue Aces a success, and wish the best of luck to whomsoever is favoured by BSPA to take over this icon of speedway.”

 

Card image cap

VIDEO | LAST YEAR IN MELBOURNE

FIM Speedway Grand Prix wins don't get bigger than this for Chris Holder. Here's how he won the 2016 QBE Insurance Australian SGP.

Card image cap

IVERSEN'S WILD AMBITION

Niels-Kristian Iversen hopes his status as Danish No.1 gives him the edge in the battle for an FIM Speedway Grand Prix wild card.

Card image cap

DREAM CALL-UP FOR DAVE

Aussie star Dave Watt bids farewell to the sport with a guaranteed five rides in the QBE Insurance Australian SGP on Saturday.

Card image cap

WARD: HOLDER WILL BOUNCE BACK

Darcy Ward backed good friend Chris Holder to regain top form in 2018 as he fights for SGP survival in Melbourne on Saturday.

Card image cap

PEDERSEN BACK IN SWEDEN

Danish racer Nicki Pedersen is back in the Swedish Elitserien for 2018 after joining newly-promoted Vastervik.

Card image cap

DOYLE: WEBBER'S WORDS OF WISDOM

Jason Doyle admits a pep talk from Mark Webber helped him through one of the most gruelling nights of his career as he chases SGP gold.

Card image cap

ELITSERIEN | MALILLA KEEP MAGIC

Polish star Maciej Janowski remains in Dackarna colours for 2018 after signing a fresh deal.

Card image cap

KILDEMAND'S SPRINT FINISH

Danish racer Peter Kildemand is pleased to be ending 2017 on a high as he prepares for the QBE Insurance Australian SGP in Melbourne.