FIVE FACTS: MARTIN VACULIK
SGP Five Facts brings you five things you may not know about the FIM Speedway Grand Prix class of 2017. Today we feature Martin Vaculik.
1. Vaculik became the only third rider to win a round on his FIM Speedway Grand Prix debut, when he topped the rostrum at the Gorzow SGP on June 23, 2012. Only Tomasz Gollob, winner of the first ever SGP in 1995, and Emil Sayfutdinov achieved this feat before him.
2. Rider No.54 has scored 24 SGP points in Gorzow – more than at any other venue. This may explain why Vaculik has joined the reigning Polish Ekstraliga champions for 2017.
3. The 26-year-old is the first and only Slovakian rider to race in the FIM Speedway Grand Prix series. Here’s hoping the Zarnovica-born star can inspire a generation of stars from his homeland.
4. Vaculik earned his FIM Speedway Grand Prix break by finishing fourth at the 2011 GP Challenge in Vetlanda to gain the first reserve spot for the 2012 series, which saw him appear in six rounds, placing 11th overall. Incredibly, he sealed his return to the series for 2017 by finishing second in the 2016 GP Challenge, also staged at his Swedish home track Vetlanda.
5. Slovakia’s No.1 rider is married to actress Kristina Turjanova, 37, who stars in TV series Búrlivé Víno, which translates as Stormy Wine. She gave birth to their son Marko in October 2015.
- 25/03: RIDER ROUND-UP: JASON DOYLE
- 24/03: WARD TIPS ZMARZLIK FOR TITLE
- 24/03: SAVE OVER 30% ON KING'S LYNN SWC TICKETS
- 24/03: LIONS SWOOP FOR BRITISH CHAMPS
- 23/03: SGP GOLD: CARDIFF FINAL THRILLER
- 23/03: NICKI'S HOLSTED HOME
- 22/03: ZAGAR'S DOMESTIC CHORES
- 21/03: SGP PREVIEW: HORSENS
- 21/03: MAGIC CLOSES ON TRACK RETURN
- 20/03: FIVE FACTS: NIELS-KRISTIAN IVERSEN