Menu
Card image cap

ZAGAR OPEN TO UK RETURN

Slovenian star Matej Zagar says he wouldn’t rule out a British Premiership comeback, despite Belle Vue’s financial woes last year.

27 / 02 / 2017, 11:52

Slovenian star Matej Zagar says he wouldn’t rule out a British Premiership comeback, despite Belle Vue’s financial woes last year.

The Ljubljana-born man admits he was owed money by the previous Aces promotion, whose licence was rescinded by the BSPA after they were kicked out of the National Speedway Stadium.

The club is back up and running under new management for this year, although it’s unclear whether they’ll move for Zagar on his 10.47 average.

For me, riding three to four times a week is a very good amount and that’s why I decided to ride in England for the last four years.

Matej Zagar

The former world No.5 already has contracts with Czestochowa in Poland and Swedish side Smederna. He wouldn’t rule out adding Britain to his schedule, but admits Aces’ financial troubles took their toll on him.

He said: “The situation is pretty hard, obviously. There was a big financial problem we didn’t know much about and not only me, but the rest of riders haven’t get their payments.

“I enjoyed being there and racing for them but unfortunately these things happened and actually nobody warned us about this. It wasn’t the nicest way to end, but it also doesn’t mean a definite ‘no’ over me racing in the UK.”

While many of Zagar’s FIM Speedway Grand Prix rivals are happy with simply racing in Poland and Sweden, Slovenia’s finest is keen to keep busy.

He said: “Taking a break is fine and everybody likes to take a rest, but I am different to everybody.

“I am a professional sportsman and my job is to race, so I want to do it.

"For me, riding three to four times a week is a very good amount and that’s why I decided to ride in England for the last four years.

“Of course, there weren’t only good times during those four years. Sometimes I had some unnecessary injuries and some issues with the engines last year. But everything got sorted in the end and I have been very, very strong.”

 

Card image cap

TRIO POWER INTO SGP 2018

Przemek Pawlicki, Artem Laguta & Patryk Dudek sealed places in the 2018 FIM Speedway Grand Prix series at the GP Challenge in Togliatti.

Card image cap

ON THE SPOT | GREG HANCOCK

We end the week by putting FIM Speedway Grand Prix world champ Greg Hancock #OnTheSpot ...

Card image cap

FRICKE & MIEDZINSKI MISS CHALLENGE

World Under-21 champion Max Fricke and Adrian Miedzinski have both withdrawn from Saturday’s GP Challenge in Togliatti.

Card image cap

WOFFY FUMES OVER HOLTA CRASH

Tai Woffinden says there are no long-term worries about his fitness after hitting out at Rune Holta’s role in their horror crash in Poland.

Card image cap

ROSCO: SET RACE NIGHTS A MUST

Great Britain and Swindon boss Alun Rossiter has joined the growing band of key figures to call for set race nights for the SGB Premiership.

Card image cap

PIRATES PICK UP WORYNA FOR 2018

Poole boss Matt Ford believes he may have recruited “the next Maciej Janowski” after signing World Under-21 finalist Kacper Woryna for 2018.

Card image cap

VIDEO | MALILLA HEAT OF THE WEEK

Jason Doyle​, Chris Holder and Patryk Dudek go bar-to-bar for second and third in our Teng Tools Swedish SGP heat of the week from Malilla.

Card image cap

HOLDER: NO REGRETS OVER SAFETY STAND

Aussie ace Chris Holder insists he did the right thing in taking a stand over safety, despite facing a nine-month British speedway ban.