FIVE FACTS: MACIEJ JANOWSKI
SGP Five Facts brings you five things you may not know about the FIM Speedway Grand Prix class of 2017. Today, we feature Maciej Janowski.
1. The Polish star has two SGP wins to his name, but has only won one SGP final – at last year’s Kjærgaard Danish SGP in Horsens. He was awarded victory at the 2015 Rietumu Bank Latvian SGP in Daugavpils when the meeting was halted after 20 races due to rain.
2. All four of the Polish riders in this season’s SGP series have won the FIM Speedway Under-21 World Championship. But Magic was the first to achieve that feat when he ended Darcy Ward’s bid for a third straight title in 2011.
3. Janowski made his FIM Speedway Grand Prix debut way back on October 18, 2008 at the Final SGP in Bydgoszcz. He scored one point at the tender age of 17. He had to wait four more years for his next chance, when he recorded eight points as a wild card in the 2012 Torun SGP to reach the semi-final.
4. Magic earned his place in the World Championship full-time for 2015 without reaching the top three at the GP Challenge. Fourth spot in the 2014 qualifier at Lonigo in Italy was enough to send him through after meeting winner Matej Zagar finished fifth in the SGP standings to qualify automatically.
5. The 25-year-old was born in Wroclaw and serves as one of the city’s ambassadors for this year’s World Games, which take place there from July 20-30, featuring speedway action at the Olympic Stadium on July 29.
- 25/03: RIDER ROUND-UP: JASON DOYLE
- 24/03: WARD TIPS ZMARZLIK FOR TITLE
- 24/03: SAVE OVER 30% ON KING'S LYNN SWC TICKETS
- 24/03: LIONS SWOOP FOR BRITISH CHAMPS
- 23/03: SGP GOLD: CARDIFF FINAL THRILLER
- 23/03: NICKI'S HOLSTED HOME
- 22/03: ZAGAR'S DOMESTIC CHORES
- 21/03: SGP PREVIEW: HORSENS
- 21/03: MAGIC CLOSES ON TRACK RETURN
- 20/03: FIVE FACTS: NIELS-KRISTIAN IVERSEN