FIVE FACTS: MATEJ ZAGAR
SGP Five Facts is your guide to this year’s SGP contenders. Today we bring you five things you may not know about Matej Zagar.
13 / 03 / 2017, 17:02
SGP Five Facts is your guide to this year’s FIM Speedway Grand Prix contenders. Today we bring you five things you may not know about Slovenian star Matej Zagar.
1. To say the Ljubljana-born racer has dominated Slovenian speedway in recent times is a huge understatement. The nation’s most successful rider has won an incredible 15 straight Slovenian Championships.
2. He was given his break on the world stage as an SGP wild card, making his debut at the Slovenian SGP in Krsko on July 12, 2003, scoring five points. Zagar has made a record eight wild card appearances.
3. Zagar’s full-time SGP debut came in 2006, when he finished seventh in the World Championship. After losing his place in the series the following year, he regained his spot for 2013 by winning an epic five-man, four-heat run-off for second and third place at the 2012 GP Challenge in Gorican ahead of Niels-Kristian Iversen, Ales Dryml, Leon Madsen and Troy Batchelor.
4. The 33-year-old’s first FIM Speedway Grand Prix triumph came at the Finnish SGP in Tampere on May 17, 2014 – on what was his 44th SGP appearance.
5. Zagar went on to achieve a career-best fifth place in that year’s World Championship, but his most SGP victories came in 2015, when he topped the rostrum in the Warsaw and Gorzow rounds on his way to sixth overall.