How fast can a dirt bike go depends on its engine size. For most models of 200cc dirt bikes, 60 mph is their standard top speed. However, some factors affect the speed of your motorcycle and 60 mph is definitely not the set limit.
In this article, you’ll learn more about how fast can a 200cc dirt bike go and how you can achieve its optimal speed. You’ll also understand how to choose the right 200cc motorcycle for you! Keep reading.
Table of Contents
200cc Dirt Bike Speed
If you’re looking for an upgrade from a 100cc or 150cc motorcycle, the 200cc dirt bike may be perfect. It has a speed of around 50-60 miles per hour and can even go faster, depending on your motorcycle.
For one, depending on the brand of your dirt bike, it has a different top speed. Please see the examples below:
|Brand||Average Top Speed|
|Suzuki||90 miles per hour|
|Kawasaki||75 miles per hour|
|Honda||80 miles per hour|
|KTM||70 miles per hour|
|OEM||50 miles per hour|
|Husqvarna||80 miles per hour|
Aside from the brand, your motorcycle’s engine is a big factor in the speed of your dirt bike. For example, the fastest dirt bike in the world is the KTM 450 SX-F, which has a powerful 450cc engine.
If you want to know more about the difference in speed for dirt bikes with various engine sizes, here’s the conversion chart from cc to mph.
|Engine (cc)||Average speed (miles per hour)|
|250cc||80-110 mph (average top speed)|
|400cc||75 -116 mph (average top speed)|
In addition to the brand and engine, there are factors that affect the speed of your 200cc motorcycle such as the following:
- Rider’s weight – If the rider is on the heavier side, your dirt bike will move slower because it’ll be heavier.
- Environment – No matter how powerful your engine is, it’ll be impacted by environmental factors such as terrain or topography. For instance, if it’s snowing or if your bike is going uphill, its speed will be much slower compared to when you’re driving downhill or on a flat, even surface.
Tips to Achieve the Optimal Speed
Your dirt bike speed depends on a lot of factors and how you maintain your dirt bike. If you want to achieve the top speed of a 200cc motorcycle, which is around 90 miles per hour, here’s what you can do.
- Change your tires – If you have heavy tires, consider replacing them with lightweight ones to allow your dirt bike to run faster.
- Improve the exhaust – Improving the exhaust of your dirt bike will make it lighter and, thus faster because it removes the fumes in the engine and improves the airflow of your motorcycle.
- Use high-quality fuel – Despite its cost, having better fuel will allow your bike to run faster. For instance, you can use higher-octane gasoline for your dirt bike.
- Get a new sprocket – For example, getting a smaller sprocket will make your dirt bike run faster because it allows the chain to turn faster, allowing your bike to get more speed.
- Upgrade your skills – Even if you have all the needed modifications to make your dirt bike achieve higher speed, you still need the skills to drive your 200cc dirt bike faster. As such, consider upgrading your skills through practice and training.
A dirt bike that’s maintained well will run fast because there are no issues with its parts. Here are a few maintenance tips to help you boost the speed of your motorcycle.
- Please have regular maintenance for your dirt bike to check if everything is working well and to know if your dirt bike’s condition or efficiency is at 100%.
- Clean your dirt bike consistently to avoid dirt or grime buildup that may affect the speed of your bike.
- Lubricate your dirt bike as needed so that the chain, bearings, air filter, and sprockets can function well without too much resistance, allowing your dirt bike to run faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
Two-stroke vs Four-stroke Engines: Which is Faster?
A 200cc dirt bike with a 2 stroke engine is usually lighter than a 4-stroke dirt bike because they have fewer parts. In contrast, a 4 stroke dirt bike (200cc) has four parts: exhaust, reception, combustion, and compression.
Overall, a 2-stroke 200cc motorcycle is much faster than its 4-stroke counterpart due to the fewer moving parts in its engine. Its typical top speed can reach 85 mph.
Nevertheless, a 200cc 4-stroke dirt bike has its own pros, such as being more durable and easier to control. Most 4-stroke bike models can go as fast as 80 mph.
How to measure the speed?
If you want to know how fast you’re riding, you can simply use a speedometer. However, if you want to do it manually, here’s a brief instruction on how to measure dirt bike speed:
- Find out the time your wheels need to make one revolution.
- Calculate the distance traveled by your dirt bike.
- Know the circumference of your tire and then multiply it by 100 to get an idea of how many inches it’ll need for one full revolution.
- Lastly, divide the product above by 60 seconds to know the time one wheel requires before making another revolution.
Is a 200cc dirt bike suitable for beginners?
If you’re a beginner with no dirt bike experience, a 200cc 2 stroke dirt bike may be a bit too much for you to handle, given its speed.
The rule of thumb is that if you’re just starting to ride a dirt bike, try a lesser-power dirt bike first, such as a 125cc two-stroke dirt bike, to familiarize yourself and gain some experience.
However, in general, riders 15 years old and above can drive a motorcycle with a 200cc engine.
Are there any legal requirements or regulations regarding the speed of 200cc dirt bikes?
As long as you’re allowed to drive a dirt bike in your state or area, it’s okay to hit the optimal speed of a 200cc dirt bike. Also, make sure that where you’re riding doesn’t have an imposed speed limit to avoid any legal issues.
What are the safety considerations when riding a 200cc dirt bike at high speeds?
No matter the cc of your dirt bike, if you’re riding at high speeds, you need to consider the following:
- Gear: Make sure you’re wearing a helmet and proper clothing to protect yourself from injuries.
- Clear mind: Never ride your dirt bike when you’re under the influence of alcohol, especially if you’re riding at high speeds, because it’ll be harder for you to control your bike.
- Suitable location: To avoid any problems and ensure you’re in a safe place while going fast, only ride your dirt bike on designated trails.
In summary, how fast can a 200cc dirt bike go will depend on your experience as a rider and the modifications on your bike. Nonetheless, in general, it’s around 96.56 kilometers per hour (or 60 in mph).
Keep in mind that you need to consider your engine’s size and the upgrades on your motorcycle if you want to achieve the top speed of a 200cc dirt bike. Lastly, your preference plays an important role in choosing the right 200cc motorcycle for you.
Remember, always keep safe while riding!