Living your day-to-day life at work and home seems reasonable enough. But life without hobbies can be very dull. One way or another, you’re going to find a way to get that adrenaline rush you’ve been longing for since forever.
Yes, we all know you’ve been dreaming of exploring trails, performing tricks, and racing across the mud tracks. That’s why you’re here, after all, right? It is time to buy a new dirt bike to quench that long-lasting adrenaline thirst!
Now, let’s answer the obvious question–how much does a dirt bike cost?
In general, entry-level dirt bikes can range from $3,000 to $5,000, while more advanced versions for experienced riders can cost $8,000 to $12,000 or more. Even more expensive models of dirt bikes used for racing can reach $15,000 or above.
Table of Contents
The dirt bike values vary depending on the power of the engine. The engine displacement is usually directly related to the rider’s age, size, and experience. So it is essential to determine what type of dirt bike you’re fit to ride.
Here is a dirt bike price guide for common options that people buy, so you will know the average dirt bike cost:
1. 50cc dirt bikes
50cc dirt bikes are designed mostly for a kid or young people who want to start riding trails early. That said, the average dirt bike price for these ranges from $1500 to $2000.
You can get cheaper ones on secondhand markets for about $1000, since these bikes are small and can be easily outgrown, especially for a 10-year-old.
- Honda CRF50F – With its four-stroke engine and throttle limiter, this bike promises to give kids smooth and safe rides, especially with the help of parents. It costs about $1699, excluding tax and other charges.
- Yamaha PW50 – This Yamaha is easy to transport with its compact body and comfortable to ride with its heat shield and low seat height. It costs about 2000 pounds or 2488 dollars.
2. 125cc dirt bikes
125cc dirt bikes are for entry-level riders because they are convenient to control and lightweight.
A 125cc dirt bike cost is between $2500 and $4500, although there are more sophisticated versions for seasoned riders that can cost anywhere between $4500 and $7500 or more.
When it comes to kids, the selection of a 125cc dirt bike should depend on the child’s height, weight, and skill level. Unless you need a racing bike for your child, a new vehicle will cost you anywhere from $2500 to $3000.
- Honda CRF125F: This is a dirt bike Honda makes and is a popular entry-level model with a low seat height and an easy-to-use engine. It is perfect for beginners as it is also on the cheaper side. The retail price is approximately $3400.
- Yamaha TT-R125LE: This is a beginner dirt bike with a smooth, lightweight engine and a low seat height. One popular feature of this model is the electric start that eliminates the need for a kick starter and makes using the engine quick.
- This model is a great dirt bike for adults and kids alike, with a price of around $3400.
3. 250cc dirt bikes
A 250cc dirt bike is generally appropriate for seasoned riders with prior experience riding dirt bikes or motorbikes. These models are not suggested for inexperienced users because they are more powerful and tougher to control than smaller bikes.
That said, beginner-level 250cc dirt bikes for adult can cost between $7000 and $8000, while more advanced versions for experienced riders can cost between $9000 and $12000 or more.
- Kawasaki KX250: This dirt bike includes a four-stroke 249cc engine, providing an exceptional power output, making it flexible and quick.
- This model is favorable for its power while still being lightweight and relatively beginner-friendly. That said, the price of this bike is $8300.
- KTM 250XC: This high-performance dirt bike has a powerful 250cc engine with a power valve system for maximum power distribution. In other words, it gives you optimal stability while being fast. With these benefits, it costs about $10000.
4. 450cc dirt bikes
Before choosing a 450cc dirt bike for yourself, examine your budget and intended use to guarantee you receive the best one for your needs.
Also, due to its power and speed, 450cc dirt bikes are generally not advised for rookie riders. They are best suited for experienced motorists who have previously mastered the skills to handle a larger and more powerful motorcycle.
So, the cost of a dirt bike with 450cc is around $9000, while more advanced versions for experienced riders can cost between $10,000 and $11000 or more. Racing dirt bikes can be much more expensive, reaching $15000.
- Yamaha YZ450F: This powerful bike is known for its engine, excellent traction and suspension, and sleek blue features. It is a 4-stroke that boasts an easy-to-use design and is simple to maintain. It’s one of the cheapest 450 dirt bikes, priced at $9400.
- Husqvarna FC450: This model, priced at $10700, is one of the most popular bikes as of late because of its high-end suspension system. It gives outstanding handling and control across all terrains.
Price of Electric Dirt Bikes
Electric dirt bikes are gaining popularity due to their environmental friendliness and cheap maintenance. They have electric motors powered by rechargeable batteries giving instantaneous torque and a pleasant riding experience.
The price range is $5000 to $10000, but some popular options are inexpensive, such as the Razor Dirt Rocket MX650, which retails for around $700, the Segway Dirt eBike X160 for roughly $3000, and the Kuberg FreeRider for $4000.
Price of Used Dirt Bikes
To save money, you can opt for a secondhand dirt bike, especially when you know you are going to use it only for a short time.
Prices for older or less popular models can range from a few hundred dollars to less than $5000 for newer or higher-end versions in good condition.
Costs of Different Types of Dirt Bikes
Here is a breakdown of the average costs for different dirt bike types:
- Trail – $4000
- Motocross – $8000 to 10000
- Dual sport – $5000
- Enduro – $12000
- Adventure – $10000
Cost Breakdown of a Dirt Bike
- Engine: A dirt bike engine can cost anywhere from $1000 to $2500 or more, depending on the quality and manufacturer. It can be cheaper if you already have aftermarket components.
- Tires: A set of dirt bike tires can cost you $100 to $400.
- Brakes: A set of front and rear dirt bike brake pads can cost up to $100 or more, while a complete braking system can cost $150 to $500 or more, depending on the brand and type of brake.
- Footpegs: These are essential to maintain control and balance when riding. Some have more grip for safety and come in different shapes and sizes to accommodate different riding styles. The price for these ranges from $60 to $300.
How much should I spend on a dirt bike?
The money you spend on a dirt bike should depend on your priorities as a rider. If you are a beginner, start with a cheaper motorcycle first and then progress to higher-end and more expensive bikes as you become more experienced.
Is owning a dirt bike expensive?
We’ve already established that purchasing your dirt bike can be expensive. Now, if you are using it roughly for extreme sports, the maintenance costs will also be steep.
A dirt bike cost per month can be between $100 and $300 on average, including expenses such as fuel and oil, maintenance, modifications, and repairs.
Can kids ride a dirt bike?
You can use small dirt bikes, like electric ones, that fit those as young as a 3-year-old. For a 11 year-old, for a 12 year old, or for a 13 year old, these are growing children, so you can provide them with entry-level 50cc dirt bikes that fit their size.
Seeing how much money are dirt bikes can probably make you a bit nauseous. There’s no doubt that entering this extreme hobby is expensive, but we want to reiterate that this is all worth it if you want to take this seriously.
We hope that when you ask, “How much does a dirt bike cost?” You can base your decisions in this article on what kind of vehicle you want to purchase in the future.